I've always wanted to finish an ironman and this year I've finally had the opportunity to train for one. Unfortunately going to an official ironman races is a huge pain in the ass. The timing doesn't work out (I need to do this before restarting clinic rotations in my residency, i.e. July 2016), they would take tons of time in travel (I've got a 14 month old at home) and they are expensive ($1300 registration fee!). So I've decided to set up my own race, the SOLOMAN.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 104, 105

Workout: Death Race Simulator!

Results:  Not Shabby.

Notes:
So it went something like this.
Start at 7:30pm on Tuesday evening.  Hike to the bottom of Penasquitos canyon and pull the first task at 8:00pm.  It says, "Walk back to the house, fish money off the bottom of the pool then walk to the store and buy 10 pounds of onions.  Then walk back to the canyon and eat one raw."  The goal was to finish every task in under two hours and this one required me to move pretty fast.  The pool was a balmy 57 degrees, but I got the money and the onions in time.  I ate one and almost puked...I really hope they don't recall that task in the actual death race.  Task two, hike to the house and saw a piece of wood into 3 pieces.  Simply task.  Task three, take the long route back to the house, grab some food, walk to the store, buy some food and return to the canyon.  As it turned out, the long route was really, really long and took over an hour instead of the 20 minutes it took for the short route.  I didn't make it back to the canyon in the required 2 hours (missing the mark by 15 minutes) and had to do 25 forward rolls in the mud.  Task four was to crawl the ditch once, then retrieve a dollar off the bottom of the pool.  The ditch was a quarter mile long dry river bed with nylon lines periodically strung up mere inches off the ground which I had to crawl under.  This task was fun, although I wasn't happy to jump back in the pool.  Task five, crawl the ditch five times.  I got pretty dirty during this one.  Task 6, hike to the house, memorize the Greek alphabet found on an index card there, then write it in chalk on the parking lot of the store.  Sick of walking and at this point I, realizing the importance of good hiking boots.  Also, it starts raining pretty hard.  I don't make the time limit on this one and I have to do 25 pushups, situps and burpees.  Task seven, crawl the ditch then do 100 pushups.  As I said before, it was raining pretty hard at this point and so about 3/4 up the ditch, as I'm crawling under a line I hear a gurgling sounds and look up to see ankle deep water rushing towards me.  Considering there are 15 foot dirt walls on both sides and every story about flash floods starts exactly like this, I high tailed it back to the start of the ditch.  Sure enough, within 5 minutes there is a small river coursing through my ditch.  I watch it for a bit to make sure it's not rising very fast then head back in.  I crawl all the way up the ditch and when I get to the top decided it's a good time to cut down the lines.  The river is rising, but I managed to cut all the lines down before it gets much above knee deep.  Then I do my 100 pushups.  Task 8, hike back to the house and cook breakfast for the family.  Task 9, hike back to the canyon and retrieve all the gear.  I finish just a few minutes before 12 noon on Wednesday.  In the end it was a good test run and I learned that footwear is crucial.  It was definitely the limiting factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment